The holidays are here and that means colder weather, family time and lots of delicious food. Preparing for those holiday meals can really put your garbage disposal to the test. Garbage disposals may seem like the ultimate convenience until it stops working. This season you probably don’t want to include a plumber on your holiday guest list, so Applewood Heating Plumbing & Electric has some tips for maintaining and troubleshooting your magical machine:
- Rust. If the bottom of your garbage disposal rusts out, spewing food and water under your sink, it needs to be replaced. Rust can be avoided, however, by not letting food sit in the bottom.
- Cold water. Running cold water for about 30 seconds after turning the disposal off will ensure any remaining food particles go down the drain. Additionally, hot water can cause fat and grease buildup in pipes, eventually leading to a clog.
- Fibrous foods. Foods such as celery stalks, onion skins and asparagus are hard for garbage disposals to process. Throw these into the garbage and stick to things like eggshells for your disposal, which help clean it.
- Jammed Impeller. If the disposal still won’t run, a jammed impeller is fairly minor and can easily be replaced. If it only runs intermittently, the switch or stopper may be defective. In this case the entire disposal needs to be replaced.
- Leaks. Although leaks may be a sign of rust, they may also just be caused from a loose connection. This can be tightened very easily by yourself or with our help.
- Bang, bang, clang. That familiar racket when something is in the disposal that shouldn’t be, such as a fork, could cause a damaged blade or impelled motor. In this case, replacing the entire unit can sometimes be cheaper than repairing a single part.
Bottom line: garbage disposals should grind food quickly and completely. If this stops happening, it’s time to repair or replace before the bustling of the holiday season begins.
As you keep your home warmed with relatives, enjoy the holiday season and make sure that your furnace is working properly. Don’t forget that Applewood is only a phone call away and now is the time to do a winter check up. Why wait? Don’t wait call now: (303) 232-6611.