Use These Healthy Grilling Tips and Have a Fun, Safe Summer!
June 6, 2012
- Grill only lean meats like skinless poultry, lean beef and fish. Avoid hot dogs and bacon. They’re filled with unhealthy amounts of sodium, saturated fats, and nitrates.
- Grill vegetables at your next barbecue. Asparagus, portabella mushrooms, peppers, onions, corn, squash, and potatoes are great choices! They’re filled with fiber and help fight cancer!
- Coat fruits with a bit of oil and throw them on the grill. Pineapples, peaches, plums, apples, bananas and pears are great choices.
- Soak your foods in marinade. It makes them delicious and protects against the formation of carcinogens during exposure to extreme heat. Use vegetable oils and spices, like basil, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. These provide many health benefits and make for a mouthwatering meal. If you don’t have a favorite brand or family recipe, use the delicious one below to kick up your grilling experience.
‘Heavenly Grilling’ Summer Marinade
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 sliced carrot
- 3 sprigs chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Submerge meats, veggies, and other items to be grilled in marinade for several hours, or even overnight for maximized flavoring.
<>Recipe Source: AllRecipes.com</>