Water Conservation Tips and Facts
April 15, 2013
Save Money & Water with these Easy Steps!
1. The use of faucet aerators and spray taps reduce water. These items put millions of air bubbles into the water, reducing the amount of water lost while suds form.
2. Flow control devices can be installed on shower heads so water can be turned off when not needed. A normal flow from a shower is between five and 15 gallons per minute. The use of a flow control device can cut water use by 50 to 70 percent. If you’ve got an old-fashioned, inefficient shower head, now is the time to replace it.
3. Flush toilets less often and do not use the toilet for disposing of trash or waste paper.
4. Test the toilet for leaks by placing a few drops of food coloring in the tank. If the colored water appears in the bowl without flushing, the toilet needs to be fixed. A leaky toilet wastes 3,000 to 5,000 gallons of water per month!
5. Do not let faucets run on for washing or rinsing. Fill a bowl with water for this purpose or rinse at once by using a hose spray.
6. Brush teeth before shaving to use cold water in the supply line while waiting for hot water.
7. Keep a bottle of drinking water in the refrigerator to avoid letting water run in order to get a cold drink.
8. Do not pre-wash dishes before putting them in a dishwasher unless absolutely necessary.
9. Limit use of the garbage disposal.
10. Collect water from roof gutters with a rain barrel for lawn and plant waterings.
Now be sure to sure these water conservations tips everyday!