If you’ve ever lived through the dreaded experience of a flooded basement, then you know how horrible it can be. Even one inch of water can take many hours to clean up and cause thousands of dollars in damage. Installing a sump pump in your basement is your best defense to prevent flooding.
Basement flooding is most often caused by water build up in the soil that makes its way into your basement. There are many ways for water to enter and many ways to prevent it from entering. A sump pump is a last defense against flooding because it pumps out water from the lowest section of a basement before the water level reaches the basement floor level. As the groundwater level rises, it is diverted into the sump hole. When the water reaches what is called ‘the critical level’, the sump pump begins to pump it out through a pipe that leads outside and away from your home’s foundation.
Apart from the obvious damage to your belongings, flooding can also cause plumbing problems, a damaged foundation or rotted wood; all of which are major repair issues for your home. A sump pump can save you thousands of dollars in the long run by maintaining the value of your home and by protecting your belongings from water damage.It is important to check your sump pump regularly to make sure that it is in proper working condition.
Sump Pump Maintenance Tips:
- Remove the cover and slowly pour water into the sump tank.
- Watch for the “float” to rise and trigger the pump.
- Once the pump is engaged, the water level will quickly lower and the float will shut off the pump. This is what is called “a normal sump cycle”. Most problems with the sump pump are float related. If the pump does not start, the float may be hanging on something in the tank. A simple repositioning of the pump should solve the problem.
- If this fails, the float may need replacement.
- If the pump fails to shut off when the water level drops to the bottom of the sump tank, this indicates a new float is needed.
Applewood’s state licensed plumbers are sump pump experts. Call today for any sump issues you may be experiencing with the recent heavy rainfall. Print the coupon below for additional savings!