March 1, 2021
[Video] How to Protect Your Home From Carbon Monoxide
Humans have five senses: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. These senses are how the body receives sensory information. Our senses keep us safe and are essential when we operate day-to-day tasks. However, there’s one thing that your senses can’t pick up on: carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can kill you if not detected quickly. Carbon monoxide build up happens in homes with improperly maintained or malfunctioning gas burning appliances like stoves, ovens, broilers, furnaces, or dryers.
Because carbon monoxide is so dangerous, the National Fire Protection Association recommends you install a carbon monoxide detector outside of every bedroom. The experts at Applewood think that’s a great idea, too! These are the basic types of carbon monoxide detectors you can have in your home:
- Plug-in. We don’t recommend these for most homes. This is because carbon monoxide detectors need to be installed at eye level because carbon monoxide is a gas that is slightly lighter than air. Most outlets are located near the floor which makes this type less effective.
- Battery operated. These detectors snap right into a base plate so you can put them wherever needed.
- Hardwired. These units are hardwired directly into your electrical system. They require professional installation and run off power from your house. Plus, they have battery backup in case your power goes out.
If you have questions about your carbon monoxide detectors or you’d like a home safety check get in touch with Applewood today! We’d be happy to help you out and make sure your home is safe and sound!