By John Ward
Denver Water implemented new rates this February increasing the average water bill by $50 annually. This summer the organization expects water bills to be about $16 higher than last summer.
One of the easiest ways to conserve water this summer doesn’t require sacrifice and water restrictions. Inspect your faucets. In one year a leaky faucet can waste more than 5,000 gallons. That breaks down to nearly 400 gallons a month. Call Applewood for your Denver faucet repair!
With Colorado’s new consumption block system, 400 gallons dripping down the drain could double your rate. Single family residential customers using under 11,000 gallons a month are charged $2.11 per thousand gallons. Go over 11,000 gallons and you will pay $4.22 per thousand gallons.
By fixing leaky faucets and routinely caring for them you can ensure that the money you spend on water this summer doesn’t go down the drain. If your faucets are leaking or need an upgrade, here are a few measures you can take to save water and money.
- Change the washer: One worn out washer can cause a 1,000 gallon leak. Keeping extras on hand allows you to quickly respond and minimize the waste.
- Check other leak areas: Moving parts are prone to wear out. Therefore, handles can contribute as much as a spout to a leak. Fixing this problem requires buying other replacement parts like the cam and packing.
- Clean the spaces in between: Don’t forget to clean the faucet. Cleaning the fittings with vinegar, rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner removes mineral deposits and dirt that causes your faucet parts to wear out and leak
- Consider ceramic disk valving: This is a great option if you need to replace your faucet or want to update. Ceramic disk faucets are more durable than rubber washers and rarely need maintenance. You end up saving money on maintenance and water.
- Be bubbly: Faucets with aerated flow restrictors incorporate air into the water stream. This reduces water usage and creates a bubbling flow that provides equally powerful rinsing action as a regular faucet.
Applewood Plumbing Heating & Electric can fix stubborn faucet leaks or install a new one. We recommend to annually check plumbing and electrical for efficiency to ensure you’re maximizing resources and saving money.