Winter made an early appearance this year. Have you had time to prepare your home for dropping temperatures? Follow these simple steps to keep your home running efficiently:
- Inspect Heating System– Hire a certified technician to inspect your furnace to be sure the system is clean, and running efficiently. The inspection will include measuring carbon-monoxide leakage.
- Reverse Ceiling Fan– Hot air rises so running your ceiling fan clockwise after turning on your heat will push down heated air.
- Hit the Roof– Scan your roof closely to check for damaged or missing shingles that may leak during winter storms.
- Drain Exterior Faucets– Undrained water in pipes can freeze, as the ice expands, it causes pipes to burst. This can be a costly repair, so it’s worth taking time to winterize your outdoor faucet.
- Check Your Sump Pump– Slowly pour a couple gallons of water into the sump pit to see if your pump turns on.