The New Year is a time to reflect on the past and look forward to the future. People tend to think about things to self-improve but it’s important not to forget to include your home in this year’s list of resolutions. Make it a priority to keep your house happy in 2018! We have compiled 10 things to add to your list to ensure your home remains in tip top shape:
- Change furnace filters every other month
- Keep the A/C & Heating Systems fine-tuned
- Don’t overload circuits with technology
- Take care to keep pipes protected in frozen temps
- Don’t use “flushable” wipes
- Don’t put grease down the disposal
- Install Carbon Monoxide detectors
- Maintain swamp coolers
- Unplug all holiday lighting before removing
- Use a programmable thermostat to save energy
The home insurance industry estimates that for every $1 spent on maintenance, you could avoid up to $115 in resulting repairs. Some home inspectors say that they’ve seen homes with thousands of dollars in damages that could’ve been prevented by spending $5 to $15 for simple maintenance.
These 10 things are easy ways to ensure problems are minimized throughout the new year. While working through your list, consider calling a licensed Applewood technician to ensure your home is safe and sound with professional assessments of your heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical systems. Taking good care of these items is essential to increase efficiency, performance and longevity.