January 10, 2016
Keeping The Warmth Inside
An inefficient heating system works harder to produce the same amount of heat a “well-oiled” one does. Annual heating system service will also reduce costs you spend on furnace maintenance. About 75 percent of all repairs can be avoided with regular maintenance. And annual maintenance by a trained technician can extend the life of your furnace by 20 to 30 percent. That translates into an extra five or 10 years. More importantly, servicing your furnace, ideally before winter, can save you 10 to 15 percent on your annual heating bills.
Applewood Plumbing Heating & Electric tips for keeping the heat inside:
- Change your furnace filter once a month and keep it clean according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Dirty filters reduce airflow and force your home’s heating system to work harder. Clean filters, by contrast, help save you money on your fuel bill while extending the life of your system.
- To increase safety and operating efficiency, make sure your furnace gets sufficient air for proper operation. The best way is to install combustion air vents between your furnace room and the outside of your home.
- If your gas burners produce a yellow flame, seek professional assistance, as the flame should be blue, even though orange and red streaks inside the blue flame are quite normal. A yellow flame means the burner is dirty and not getting enough air.
- The area around your furnace should be kept clear of combustible material such as paper, cardboard or paint cans.
- Keep informed of the danger signals for unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide…you’ll find plenty of information on the internet, or you can call us and we’ll be happy to explain. And remember: the best way to prevent CO poisoning in the first place is with an annual inspection of your fuel-burning appliances.
Home safety begins at home, and by following the above steps, you’ll have fewer problems with your furnace, save money on your fuel bill, and add years to the system’s effective lifespan. An annual heating system “clean & check” tune-up is one of the best home maintenance investments you can make. Of course, any time you need professional assistance, we’re right nearby, and only a phone call away, 303-785-2000.